Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Half Way Mark... HERE WE COME!!



4 Days and counting until we reach our half way mark! It is so exciting to see how far we have come. It is kinda scary to think that a half marathon is our HALF WAY mark. Oh goodness, it can be overwhelming if I think about it too much but exciting at the same time. Once again I have to stop and count my blessings. It has been such a difficult year in so many ways and yet as hard as the trials have been the blessings have been greater. I think back to several years ago and how Manda was the child who wanted to go running with me and how thankful I am that she and I have shared this journey together.

I can draw so many parallels to life and this journey of accomplishing something that seemed as huge as a marathon for us. I can also see the Lord's hand in growing this desire within both of us, this is a journey that we needed to take together. In His wisdom, the seed was planted that way. There are not enough ways to count all the blessings that have come from it. First, just the physical feeling of being on the way to accomplishing something so monumental. I cried the day that I ran my first mile! I honestly never thought I would ever be up to 13 miles. I am learning a little bit more each day what it means to be the master of your own body. It isn't easy, but I can see that it is possible. One of the saddest things in life is to not accomplish this especially when we are blessed with the ability to do so but make the choice not to.

Second, I am also in the process of learning that some of the greatest power we hold is in our thoughts. I have learned through the running process that I can make my body have physical results simply in controlling the way that I think. The training book that we use is written by a few different authors. One author being a physical fitness professor and the other being a psychology professor. It is amazing how they really go hand in hand. My running partner has once again been my biggest teacher in this area as well. From the time she was born she has seemed to have struggles that my other children didn't have such as her struggle with balance and dyslexia. From this she has gained a greater insight on the power of positive thinking and overcoming life's challenges. This year has been no exception for her, but in a very different way. I have watched her go through one of the most difficult life challenges that I have ever witnessed. She has every right to be bitter, angry and hurt. She has been wronged in a very serious way and has had to face the dishonesty of another and attacks on her character. As a mother, it has been such a horrible thing to witness. As a student, I am in awe.

In running you are taught to pay attention to pain. Some pain you can ignore, some pain needs to be treated and then with the right training it can make you stronger. In life, it is the same. We can choose to let our pain defeat us or we can simply learn from our pain. I often think of the inspiring story of the soldier who lost his legs in battle and came home and completed a marathon with prosthetic legs even though it was painful. Or the story in my training manual of the lady who ran a marathon even though she was going through chemotherapy anf fighting the battle for her life. We are all going to face pain, we are all going to face trials. It is our choice if we choose to yield to the trial or grow from it. Running has been the source of letting out our stress and bonding in our relationship.

Not only did I watch the physical release of stress happen with the running, but I have watched the mental strength and the clarity of thinking that happens with physical exercise. And then to take it a step further, I have seen the abundant blessings of self mastery and choosing to be the master of your own thoughts. I have watched her exercise that ability to choose to be happy, choosing to pray for your enemies and choosing to forgive. She is amazing. I am grateful for her being my partner in running but most of all in being my daughter.

Now, here we are only 4 days away from our half marathon and I am looking forward to the rest of the journey and the lessons that will come with it. Each step we take in training for this marathon seems to be a step we take in learning an even greater lesson in life. Each training run we go on seems to teach us that we are the only ones who choose to let others destroy us. We each hold the key to holding our heads up high and bending our heads in prayer regularly... and following Joseph of Egypt's example and "running" from temptation or wickedness. We are taking one step at a time and not being caught in the overwhelming feeling of the long journey ahead. That finish line is looking pretty doable if we will both do our part and continue to train and follow the counsel!

No comments:

Post a Comment